Jennifer presented You Can’t Bubblebath The Burnout Away in 2019 at RailsConf in Minneapolis.
Why do we turn to self-care?
Why does self-care sometimes not work?
What do we do when self-care stops working?
- Capitalism and self care: https://crimethinc.com/2013/05/31/for-all-we-care-reconsidering-self-care
- On burnout for the millenial generation: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/annehelenpetersen/millennials-burnout-generation-debt-work
- An intersectional perspective on burnout:: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tianaclarkpoet/millennial-burnout-black-women-self-care-anxiety-depression
- Actionable advice for specific steps you can take: https://www.patreon.com/posts/some-social-and-24025434
- A personal perspective on the experience of E_INSUFFICIENT_HOURS_FOR_MORE_SELF_CARE: https://bowilliams.github.io/blog/stress
- Book rec!! I haven’t read this book on burnout by Emily Nagoski, PhD and Amelia Nagoski, DMA, but I expect it to be really helpful: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/books/592377/burnout-by-emily-nagoski-phd-and-amelia-nagoski-dma/9781984817068
- Techniques for staying kind, resilient, and creative when things get hard at work: https://opentable.design/8-ways-to-be-resilient-and-kind-when-things-get-hard-at-work-b7cf378e85ea
- Forbes on what causes your burnout: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnrampton/2015/05/13/the-6-causes-of-professional-burnout-and-how-to-avoid-them/#302ef76b1dde